Connect with us


The Great Lost Teddy Bear of Glacier Park

Kids love their toys, especially the ones given to them during tough times. One child, Naomi Pascal, received such a toy when she was in an orphanage in Ethiopia and had kept it with her all through her trip to the U.S. and adoption. However, when her parents took the child Glacier National Park, the unthinkable happened. The child lost her special teddy bear and had to leave the park heartbroken with a tremendous emotional loss. On the off chance, Naomi’s parents left a message with the Park and hoped that the teddy bear would eventually turn up with lost and found. And, for that child who had already traveled half way around the world, fate as it turned out was in her favor.

Of course, a couple hundred or thousand set of eyes thanks to social media helped a lot in finding the lost teddy bear as well. One of those reading the social media plea for finding the missing bear turned out to be an actual park ranger. Like so many things, finding the bear turned out be a bit of luck, following procedures for safety, and Internet viral awareness.

The lost bear started getting traction when people kept reposting the plea on Facebook to find it. Well over 12,000 people connected with the story, elevating its awareness status as well as raising attention to actually find the lost teddy bear. For Naomi’s father, Ben Pascal, there was a hope maybe somebody eventually would find the toy and help return it.

The bear was extremely important to Naomi. It was the first present Ben and his wife Addie had given Noami prior to her adoption and eventual immigration to the U.S. to live with her new parents. No surprise, the bear, dubbed “Teddy,” was a fixture wherever Naomi went with her parents after her adoption. Unfortunately, when someone is out of their normal environment, which happens frequently on trips and travel, things get lost. That was the case in October 2020 when the family visited Glacier National Park, and the missing bear wasn’t realized until literally the night after a big hike in the Park. The toy could have been dropped just about anywhere in the Park the family had been without a clue. Everybody was consigned to the fact that the bear was lost, but Naomi was most of all by the loss.

With a snowfall that night that shut off the higher areas of the Park, retrieval was out of the question. So, a message of hopeful luck was left with the Park and the family returned to their home in Wyoming. Interestingly, the teddy bear didn’t stay lost that long. Ranger Tom Mazzarisi caught sight of the toy as he was doing his rounds monitoring the local bears as part of his job. Normally, lost items that are man-made get picked up and disposed of if not immediately valuable for recovery, such as a camera or jewelry. However, for some reason, Mazzarisi hesitated in placing the recovered toy in the trash back at the trailhead, and instead the teddy bear ended up being a passenger in the ranger’s patrol truck for the winter season. The bear also helped Mazzarisi with a few conversation starters over the next few months as well sitting in his truck. This situation pretty much continued until the next June when Addie Pascal’s Facebook post finally worked its way into the awareness of the Park staff.

As it turned out, family friends of the Pascals went back to Glacier National Park and double-checked all the lost and found locations for any hope of finding the bear. As they were walking around on one of the days of the trip, lo and behold, there was a teddy bear sitting inside a ranger’s truck on the dashboard. Not being sure, the friend snapped a photograph of the bear inside the truck and sent by mobile phone to Addie Pascal. Seeing the photo, Addie confirmed immediately that was Naomi’s missing bear!

To make matters even nuttier, it just happened to be Mazzarisi’s day off work, and the keys to his truck were nowhere to be found. None of the other rangers had a spare. So, all that could be done was leave a note on the truck and try via the other rangers to contact Mazzarisi. Once everybody figured out what was going on, the bear was retrieved, and the family friends not only had Teddy but a few other gifts from the rangers as well (a junior ranger badge and hat for Naomi)!

The whole bundle was shipped to Wyoming and, when Naomi got the package, she was ecstatic. As for ranger Mazzarisi, it turned out okay. While he lost his dashboard bear, the family friends bought him a new one for his truck, and it was named Clover.



Christmas Eve turned into an Elk-Rescue for Hours on a Frozen River

Kelly Taylor



Elks are not usually keen on human companionship, and understandably so. However, after a dating rescue recently which saved several of them from being frozen to death, the Elk community might become more welcoming or not.

Either way, humans can certainly go out on a limb or relatively thin ice to rescue animals, even during Christmas.

Several dozen elk were found frozen to death in the Kettle River in Barstow, Washington, on Christmas Eve, according to the Ferry County Sheriff’s office.

Coyote hunters Jeff Stuart and Jordan Fish came across a herd of cows and calves who had become stranded in the ice. About 40 elk had gathered on the other side of the river in a large pack. When they observed what occurred to the first 12 people, they either crossed successfully or decided not to.

Rylee Stuart, Jeff’s wife, received a phone call informing him that he was on his way to Barstow to grab some rope to assist the stranded animals.

The number of rescuers climbed rapidly.

More than two dozen individuals helped Rylee and her family rescue the elk from the river, wrap them in blankets, and keep them warm by fire towards the end of the day.

Rylee told the media that, “We had to catch the animals and furthermore try to loosen them the moment they reached the river bank, without getting… kicked.” “It wasn’t the simplest process,” she said.

One rescuer fractured his hand, another slipped into the icy water, and one was kicked in the back of the head by an elk while trying to save a group of people.

However, someone told them that no officers were available for an elk rescue. Rylee stated this in her interview. Officer Severin Erickson of Fish and Wildlife District 1 drove from Newport, two hours away, to aid the rescue operation.

“Bizarre” was the word Erickson used to describe the sight of three elk eating hay while standing next to humans. He believes that the animals’ fear of humans reduced due to hypothermia and shock, according to Erickson.

Around eight o’clock that evening, the rescue finally came to an end after the sun had set. In the end, four calves and two cows died, while four cows and two calves escaped with the approval of Fish and Wildlife.

One of the elk was particularly noteworthy to Rylee. On reaching the riverbank, the calf was helpless and unable to stand. Her rescuers draped blankets over her and dragged her up close to the raging inferno. Her limbs had shifted.

She looked like she was on the verge of dying for several hours. After some time, she was able to walk on her own. Lucky was the moniker given to her by the rescuers.

You can’t help but cry when you think about all you did to help these animals. “We laid with them, gave them CPR, and even cried over them!” Rylee made the statement.

Although no one expected to spend Christmas Eve in the frigid weather, rescuing elk from the river, this was an extraordinary event for everyone.

Continue Reading


Drones Deliver Lifesaving Equipment in Real-Time to Patients’ Homes

Renee Yates



We’ve been hearing about the advent of machines and the significant roles they’ve been playing in many sectors. Many people have been fearful of robots coming into the health industry. Still, they have been proving useful in many ways, from making precise incisions to transporting life-saving medication and equipment.

Most recently, in Europe, an older man had his life saved due to quick action involving a drone that could reach his location in the nick of time.

A drone played a role in saving the life of a Swedish man. A drone defibrillator dropped on the scene saved the life of the 71-year-old man who went into cardiac arrest while clearing snow in December, according to an article published on Everdrone recently.

To save the life of a person who is having a heart attack, they require immediate assistance. With Emergency Medical Aerial Delivery from Tech giant Everdrone (EMADE) service, emergency dispatchers can deploy a drone with a device to a caller’s home, allowing them to begin the lifesaving procedure before paramedics arrive.

The defibrillator delivery to the patient’s house only took three minutes in this scenario. CPR was performed on the patient by a passerby, who happened to be a physician on his way to work. He then utilized the AED.

SOS Alarm, Region Västra Götaland, and the Karolinska Institutet’s Resuscitation Science Center helped create the drone.

As Everyone CEO Mats Sällström noted, “This is an excellent real-world illustration of how Everdrone’s state-of-the-art technology, strongly connected with emergency response, can reduce the delay for access to life-saving AED devices.”

There were 14 cardiac arrest warnings that drones could handle during a four-month trial of the EMADE program. The drones successfully delivered the defibrillators on 11 of the 12 occasions. The drones had supplied a total of seven such defibrillators before the arrival of the emergency vehicle.

Over 275k cardiac arrests each annum across the European Union, 70% occurring in private residences with no on-site defibrillators. The chance of surviving is about 10%.

The EMADE service currently reaches 200,000 people in Sweden. Officials expect Europe to become a new market for the corporation this year.

Drones fitted with automated external defibrillators (AEDs) in the field. Drones can be integrated into an emergency response system from the contact center to a final AED delivery on the scene, according to our experience.

There are various disciplines within healthcare wherein drones could be vital. Drones are now getting tested in the realm of drowning and blood and body part transportation.

Drones were delivering Covid-19 vaccinations in 2020. To distribute vaccines throughout Ghana, Zipline, a drone service business, teamed up with the nation’s leader. Since then, Zipline has expanded its offerings and presence rapidly.

Drones equipped with telemedicine capabilities are delivering on-demand healthcare services: Cincinnati University researchers built “a semi-autonomous working model that can be delivered directly to people’s houses.

Maneuvering algorithms help the drones navigate the confined spaces of a home while still being large enough to carry medicines or medical supplies.”

A “sealed box the equivalent of a small first-aid kit” is also carried by these drones, which include “cameras and a video screen so clients can speak to healthcare providers from home.” Revolutionary applications await.

Continue Reading


$10k Medical Scholarship for Hockey Fan Who Noticed Cancerous Mole on a Staff Member

Renee Yates



Imagine doing something you hope would save someone’s life with no ulterior motives and later becoming the recipient of a medical scholarship. That’s what happened to a woman who notified a hockey employee about a worrisome mole on his neck.

Nadia Popovici watched the Vancouver Canucks take on the Seattle Kraken in October when she noticed the mole on Brian Hamilton, the team’s assistant equipment manager.

By writing a note on her smartphone and putting it on the window that divides fans and teams, the hockey enthusiast notified Mr. Hamilton of the growth.

Consequently, he sought the advice of a doctor, who excised the mole and discovered that it was malignant.

Mr. Hamilton said, “She lengthened my existence… she saved my life.”

“I wouldn’t even be here if I disregarded that for four to five years, according to the doctor.

“I’m baffled as to how she viewed it. Even if it wasn’t particularly substantial, I’m fully dressed, including a jacket with a radio attached to the back…”

Mr. Hamilton wished to thank Ms. Popovici for her guidance, but he didn’t know her name. Therefore he created a social media plea to find her.

It just took a few hours after a team tweeted to locate the missing fan before they returned to the game Seattle at Climate Pledge Arena on January 1, and they did.

My family and I have been profoundly affected by the impact of the message you gave me on your cell phone,” Mr. Later wrote in the petition.

That mole on my neck turned out to be melanoma, and owing to your perseverance and the quick work of our specialist; it’s no longer there.”

Miss Popovici told him that she missed him at the NHL game, which they attended together. “There weren’t many people around at the time, and as a result, I was concerned about bringing it up. I’m delighted that you were able to see it.”

Ms. Popovici received a 10 thousand dollar scholarship for med school due to a joint effort between the two winning teams.

According to Ms. Popovici, being praised for her conduct felt unreal when she spoke to the media.

“He wasn’t often in front of me throughout most of the match,” she continued, “since he was opposite me the duration of the game.”

“While walking in front of him, his jacket lapel slipped a little as he groped for something in his pocket. A dark area appeared in front of me as I stood directly behind him.

Her curiosity piqued as she lurched in closer, and as she did, she observed that the mole was discolored, had unusual borderlines, and was particularly large and elevated. “I knew it was an indication of possible skin cancer, and so that man should undoubtedly be seen by a physician,” she said.

As an added obstacle, she couldn’t say anything to him because she couldn’t see him through the glass.

“The mole on the nape of the neck may be malignant, so I rapidly entered it into my notes app on my phone. ‘Doctors are needed right away!’

When she knocked loudly on the window, he looked at her phone, and “I’m just really pleased that it worked out in the greatest way imaginable,” she said.

She recounted that Mr. Hamilton initially “sort of shrugged and went away,” as she put it.

“I was sorry for what I’d done after that point. I felt that bringing it up was inappropriate; that man might already know it, and it’s a touchy subject.

After a long period without any information, “it’s been extraordinary and life-changing,” she said. “To eventually put a name to the face and a narrative, it’s been sincerely life-changing.”

Continue Reading


A Very Humble Boy Saved Two People’s Lives In One Day

Kevin Wells



When someone saves another’s life in a day, it’s oftentimes an amazing thing. When that happens twice in the same day, folks start thinking in terms of fate or predestined roles that people play without knowing them until the time to do so arrives. That was the case with one 11-year-old who was in the right place at the right time twice in one day.

The first happened at school, while Davyon Johnson was just doing whatever kids in school do, going to classes, walking back and forth between lockers and socializing with friends. However, at the right moment, Johnson happened to see a fellow student in trouble. Another student was fiddling with a water bottle, taking the cap off with his mouth. Doing so, the student accidently swallowed the cap and started choking. Johnson saw what happened and immediately jumped to help save the teen. With a standard Heimlich maneuver, Davyon Johnson was able to help dislodge the bottle cap so the student could cough it up. Doing so, Johnson ended the choking incident and probably saved his fellow student’s life.

However, Johnson’s responsibilities weren’t finished. Little did he know the boy was going to be involved again later in the day, saving someone else.

Going home after school, Davyon Johnson was making his way through the neighborhood when he saw a house on fire. Realizing the situation, Johnson ran up to the house and began banging on the door to help the owner inside. The boy ultimately helped the resident escape the burning home and get to her car for safety.

With so much having happened, folks after the fact aren’t that surprised that Johnson wants to be an EMT or paramedic when he is old enough. The boy already has a natural talent for helping people under emergency conditions.

The combination of effort in one day to help so many people was not unnoticed. Multiple agencies came together afterwards to formally honor Davyon Johnson for willing to risk himself to help others without hesitating. He received two honorary status certificates from the police department and the sheriff’s department, and Johnson’s local school board also gave the boy an award for his heroism.

However, just looking at Johnson, he’s not letting things go to his head. He just wants to hang out with his friends, avoid homework where possible, and get to the weekend for running around. But the future holds a lot of promise for the young man, especially if he does pursue his career choice.

Continue Reading


The Re-appearing Aussie Pink Handfish

Kevin Wells



A good number of species have gone extinct in the 19th and 20th centuries thanks to humans, development, and lack of awareness of what change can do to an ecosystem. However, fortunately, one species somehow managed to make a comeback, which was a surprise to a lot of biology experts and fish specialists. The Australian Pink Handfish was thought to have seen its last swim more than two decades ago. The extremely rare fish was last seen in the waters off coastal Tasmania, and was assumed to have died off after 1999.

Alive by Terminology Only

While officially the Pink Handfish was technically labeled “endangered,” no one had seen the species for years in the water. However, running a monitoring exercise with a deep sea camera in a marine sanctuary, researchers were once again able to confirm the fish’s delicate but clearly present existence in the Australian ocean. Interestingly, the fish managed to find survival going deeper into the water than it had historically been found. So, while folks no longer found the species at its old depth, it was clearly present and healthy down deeper where there was less human activity and encroachment. At 150 meters under the surface, it’s not likely to get much irritation from regular diving or boating.

Time to Rewrite the History Books Again

Researchers were also puzzled and began opening up new options for possibilities with the Pink Handfish as well. It was simply assumed the species was a shallow water fish and would not function or survive at deeper levels. Obviously, the prior research was incorrect. Unlike regular fish that generally swim, the Pink Handfish has a walking habit, using its front fins to claw and grab coral as it walks across the sea floor. While it can definitely swim, the species relies on walking activity for a closer inspection of food sources and discovery.

Food is a Good Standby for a Party

Researchers regularly use bait and cameras to pick up local activity where they film, capturing images of the local fish and sea life lured by the easy food availability near the camera. Dropping a deeper water camera into the Tasman Fracture Marine Park at the floor level of the water, the goal was to get a good visual of crustacean sea life and bottom dwellers. Much to the surprise of the researchers, when they reviewed the film, there was an additional food forager in the mix no one expected. A fully-grown adult Pink Handfish showed up after it got a nudge from a rock lobster in the same area. The Handfish didn’t get too involved, checking out the food flurry and then swimming away quickly, but specialists were able to confirm the species. It stood out so distinctly from the other fish and sea life, the Handfish was hard to miss.

So, officially, the Pink Handfish has now been confirmed to still be alive and definitely endangered, but in a positive state versus what everyone thought for more than 20 years to the opposite.

Continue Reading